With winter now officially here and the forecast for frigid below 20’s and high winds, who wants to go out?
The pantry beckons. Make new and tasty treats with THRIVE from Shelf Reliance. Inspired by the chef from DC’s Hay Adams hotel, across from the White House, we thought we might try our hands at our own Meringue Angels using our THRIVE egg whites.
Can kids make these? Can I make these?
With a little planning by the grownups this is a fun family activity. Make your own heavenly host of angels.
Delia Smith has an excellent instructions here. Trust the Brits. They know their meringues.
Prepare meringue the day before and let dry out in the oven overnight.
Kids can dip wings in frosting and affix. We did try pastry bag, but dipping wings directly into royal frosting worked for us. Kids can roll gum drops flat to make halos. We used crystallized ginger.’
No messy separating of raw eggs. This is a plus, especially when cooking with kids. THRIVE egg whites are USDA inspected and contains whole egg whites. Use in recipes that call for expensive merinque powder. These could also be a safe gluten free, dairy free treat.
Fancy hardware not required. I used hand mixer and but I must confess to using a copper bowl for whipping egg whites.
Mini chocolate chips dipped in frosting made eyes. We also grated chips for meringue smiles. We also added cocoa.
Honestly, some did fail. I tried to rush a bit and had oven too high, they spread. If this happens to you, what to do?
You make floating islands of course!
THRIVE raspberries make a yummy sauce for a quick elegant grown-up dessert.
or miniature snow capped trees
with mug of cocoa,
Let it snow!
- 8 THRIVE egg whites prepared
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup THRIVE granulated sugar
- 1½ cups THRIVE confectioners' sugar
- ½ cup cornstarch
- Royal icing
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 juice of one lemon
- 6 prepared egg whites
- ½ cup water
- yellow gumdrops, or other yellow gum candy
- mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Sift together corn starch and confectioners' sugar and set aside. Line baking sheets with parchment, placing angel wing template to be traced with royal icing underneath and set aside.
- To a mixing bowl add prepared THRIVE egg whites. Turn whisk attachment on low speed add lemon juice and sugar alternating slowly until mixture is foamy. Turn mixer to medium speed and slowly incorporated sifted granulated sugar and confectioners sugar once shiny increase to high speed until stiff peaks form. Turn off mixer. Using large spatula fill pastry bag or quart freezer bag with eraser size tip whole and pipe wings over template. Using larger tip about twice the size pipe out three bodies for angels approximately 4 inches tall. Pipe heads proportionate to body size.
- Place in oven and turn off. Leave overnight. Prepare royal icing and affix wings, eyes, decorations the following day.