Quick Appetizer: THRIVE Spinach Pies Spanakopita
Author: Simple Pantry Foods
Recipe type: Appetizer
Quick easy appetizer with THRIVE Freeze Dried Spinach Pies Spanakopita
- 1 pkg of phyllo pastry dough thawed at room temperature
- 2 sticks melted butter
- 2 cups THRIVE Freeze Dried Mozzarella
- 2 cups Feta Cheese Crumbled
- 1 32 ounce container whole milk ricotta or homemade
- 2 THRIVE whole eggs, beaten
- 2 cups THRIVE Freeze Dried Spinach
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
- ¼ cup chopped green onions/scallions
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon THRIVE salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare filling.
- Combine cheeses, beaten eggs,spinach, herbs, nutmeg, salt & pepper in bowl and set aside.
- Working quickly, lay out 3 layers of phyllo dough on work surface (floured counter top or large baking tray.)
- Covered unused phyllo with clean damp dish towel.
- Butter base layer and repeat until you have three layers.
- Cut phyllo into uniform rectangles, using rolling pastry cutter
- Place one tablespoon of filling per rectangle and fold as you would a flag.
- Butter top of pastry triangle.
- Place on buttered baking sheet.
- Repeat until you have used all sheets.
- Bake in hot oven 20-30 minutes until lightly browned.
- Makes about 40.
Any leftover filling can be saved for homemade ravioli, lasagna, or baked in pie shell like a quiche. Fresh herbs can be substituted with dry. No need to hydrate cheese or spinach separately.